Tuesday 8 October 2013

Visiting the Annapolis Sailboat Show - 2011

One can see many flags and banners on display when you look up at the show.
With the Annapolis boat show being held in less than a week. I thought I would comment on my visit to the show in 2011. I actually wrote this article for the GBYC Soundings newsletter back in 2012, but I have added more photos and better comments here.

Brad and I walking the docks early in the day.

I sadly missed the chores of hosting our family's Thanksgiving dinner for a group of almost 20 to attend the Annapolis Sailboat show in 2011. I met up with my friend Brad and his wife Jill the day before at the hotel we picked to stay at about 10 miles out of town. The day we attended the show was sunny and very warm. A shorts and tee shirt day. We arrived at the gates just as they opened. I was surprised and startled to hear a cannon go off just as if you were starting a race. They also shot off the cannon to end the show...we where still there. We spent most of the day boarding boats that we only see in magazines, and well over our budget. By the end of the day a $300,000 boat seemed dirt-cheap. My favourite, if I had to pick one, was the Outbound 46' which would never fit into my slip but would make a great live aboard home with a reasonable price tag.

My choice for a dream boat was the Outbound 46'.
A closer look at the Outbound.
The one time Capitol building of the USA (1783-1784) can be seen in the background of the Annapolis boat show.
For lunch one must try the crab cakes which are famous in Maryland. A Pusser's Painkiller or two was needed to wash it all down and readily available at many location. Might need a bunch of these if by chance you purchased a boat. Near the end of the day we sat in on one of the guest speakers to rest our feet. The topic was cruising in the Bahamas which I found really interesting. I wish I had arrived early enough to participate in the whole presentation. That evening Brad, Jill and I went for dinner at a location one of Brad's sailor buddy's mentioned as a must have to try. We had dinner at Cantler's which is on the waterfront a short drive from the boat show. In the spring issue of Coastal Living, Cantler's was rated as one of the top seafood locations on the east coast. The place was packed and the atmosphere was great. Pretty much all sailors. I did talk to a group of guys at the next table. One has the same boat as mine a Pearson 33-2. He wanted to know how my reefing worked as he wanted to hook up a system on his...lucky enough I had some photos of mine on my camera that I shared with him over a couple of beers. The meal was great and an all night affair...can't wait till I get back to Annapolis again...maybe next fall...George

Crab cakes was the choice of the day at Annapolis.
Pain Killers are in abundance throughout the show.
Jill's meal at Cantler's...check out the size of those onion rings.
Un-boardable...unfortunately not all the boats where open for viewing.
Not everyone arrived by car...the dingy dock at the Sailboat show.
If money was not a problem one could select a boat with a little more room up at the bow.



No comments:

Post a Comment